Saturday, November 6, 2010

Bialetti Coffee Maker

So, after living in Rome for about 5 years it became apparent to me that in almost every home there was a Bialetti coffee espresso maker, but all I could think about was the Neapolitan coffee maker that I grew up with, called The Napolitana, this is the one that my grandmother used. My grandmother was not a Napoletana but a Romagnola. She loved her coffee and La Napolitana coffee maker is the one she carried with her everywhere she went. As a child when my grandmother had some free time she'd say, "Francolina, let's go to Naples for a good cup of coffee" we'd all file into the car and the long 2 to 3 hour drive began. The adults would have their special coffee and my sister and I would have the most delicious pizza ever.

Now four years later, I find myself at the Porto Rico coffee shop in the West Village and Bialetti's name comes up again. Having run out of my coffee from San'Eustachio, which I bring back from Rome, I have no idea which coffee to purchase and I ask the salesperson, a charming young man, probably the same age as my daughters, to recommend a strong espresso bean. He asked whether I wanted it ground, and whether I used a Bialetti. I go into my story how every home in Italy has one...and find myself engaged in a quite informative conversation about different coffee makers with the young man. Of course I bought his favorite BLEND, and to top it off it was on sale too!

At home, I kept thinking why the Bialetti espresso maker has become so popular and the number one choice all over Italy. All Italians and coffee lovers know that the best coffee in Italy is in Naples, there have been debates about it, is it the water? is it the way the coffee beans are roasted? is it the humidity? is it the coffee pot? No one knows, all I know is, it is by far the best coffee I have ever had. And the same debate would be about the pizza as it was for the coffee, is it the water?...

So, I ask again, what makes Bialetti the #1 coffee maker in Italy and why do I have a Bialetti in my home and not the Napolitana. Maybe, because it's easier to use, more accessible, or just following the trend?

3 comments:

Frank said...

Ah, the Bialetti coffee maker ... it sure brings back memories ...

Joan S said...

Ah! As a recovering purchaser of everything new to me, I regret never having owned a bialetti. I've been looking at them for years, but the closest I've come to owning one was to buy the little, is it pewter, pepper grinder with the turn handle at the top. For some reason, it came to mind - must be the color. One of these days, Franca I will sit on your terrace and sip the best cup of coffee in the world, freshly made, from your bialetti. Soon, I hope. Joan

Franca said...

I would like that very much, I can make you a good cup of coffee but or the best cup of coffee, we will have to go to Naples. I'm in, let's go.

LinkWithin