Sunday, December 6, 2009

Celebrating A New York Moment

Now that my daughters are grown, my partner is gone and my financial situation is drastically changed. What am I do do with all of my time?

I am taking advantage of my extra time to notice and appreciate the small things. I enjoy walking through Chinatown for my vegetables and fruits and asking the vendors just what it is that I'm buying, and how to prepare them, attending free lectures and poetry readings, going to tea parlors and trying out different teas, . Basically, I’m taking the time to smell the roses, NYC style. My favorite being the fleeting encounters with the many different personalities found in the city. These were the things I missed out on while I was building my career, raising my children and being a life-partner.

Last Sunday I went to Park Slope to visit my mother, the F train was out of service and that’s how I met the two characters of the day’s adventure.

Character #1, A friendly, young homeless man, very knowledgeable of the transit system.

Character #2, An older, somewhat sophisticated attractive man sporting a septum ring. (I noticed him because my 22 year old daughter , Sidney, also has the same ring, and just the day before I had asked her if by any chance she had outgrown that style. She without hesitation, answered NO.) He is a costume designer for the stage, and also does alterations and custom made clothing.

Then there is me, the 3rd character, a 61 year old woman with grey hair running around town smelling the roses.

Character #1, The hero of the day, directed and showed us the way. Before departing, he told me that he was looking for work as he had just gotten out of jail for a felony offence. I told him that, even in this bad economy, I was sure that, he would find something. This I said with all honesty and sincerity, because he had a welcoming sweet smile and a great positive attitude.

Character #2, was sitting across the isle. He didn't hear all of the conversation but he had heard enough to know that Character #1 was a felon. He moved to sit next to me.
What was the felony?
I don’t know
Why don’t you know?
I didn’t ask.
Why didn’t you ask?
I felt if he wanted me to know he would have told me
Weren’t you curious?
YES, I WAS!
We started laughing and the conversation turned to our own work.

I told him that, at this point in my life, fashion is not really important to me. I’m interested in comfort and I do have a pair of pants that fits that bill. I thought to myself that I might ask him to make me a pair so I asked him for his card. I was very surprised that he tried everything to avoid giving it to me. I didn’t have mine, nor did either of us have a pen. Finally, we arrived at his stop where he, shyly, handed me his card along with an apology. I took a quick look and saw a card for custom made S&M leatherwear that’s not what I'd had in mind for my comfy trousers. I couldn't help but laugh and told him not to worry. I had a smile on my face for the rest of my trip. I love NY!

What about your little moments? What are you doing in the next Chapter of your life?

8 comments:

mLindvall said...

I love this story!

Anonymous said...

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrr, can I get a copy of that tailors address???
Stephen F Los Angeles

Jean said...

This is so great. I love that you actually take the time to talk to some of these people. It's just so opposite of me -- My motto, especially on the subway, is "do not make eye contact." I suppose I'm missing out, but then I get to read about these things in your blog and it really makes me smile. Just do me a favor and be careful! The leather pants -- that's the best -- ha, ha.

helscat129 said...

My NYC train moment came years ago when I spotted a man on the train who was definitely younger then me and so beautiful to look at. It was the one time I started a conversation. He turned out to be great about 10 years younger then me and we dated for a while. I guess I was a cougar but the term did not exist yet.
I have hardly spoken to anyone since but I may rethink this now. I am probably missing on on some fun.

Unknown said...

Franca, great story! I am happy to find you sounding so much better! I hope you continue to smell the roses---it isn't always easy.

Nicole said...

Now I am dying to know what the felony was.

Unknown said...

Really enjoyed this! Felt like I was on that subway with you.

Shirley said...

Hi Franca, Shirley here....just catching up on emails and was so pleased to see a posting from you. Loved reading your adventures but especially enjoyed the posting you wrote about your grandmother. Unfortunately,I never had the good fortune to meet her but I do know that she was a very kind and generous woman. This I learned from my Mom. But it is so good to know more about her and who and what she was.

So your Mom has moved after so many years in Brooklyn. I hope she adjusts easily....please ask her to send me her new address and phone number...She did try to reach me not long ago by phone but we were out of town and she didn't leave a number. I sent a very late greeting card to her old address that I hope was forwarded to her.
In Oct. Ramsey and I spent 10 days in Rome together...this was quit an expierence! Previously, we hadn't spent more than one hour alone together! Thankfully, it has brought us closer together.
Looking forward to reading more of your very interesting daily adventures....
Take care of yourself and wishing you a very happy new year.
Baci,
Shirley

LinkWithin