Monday, November 23, 2009

What Happened To Our Mother's Jewelry?

When my daughter Sidney, announced that she was doing her “Liceo” High School thesis on “Fashion” I shrieked, "Fashion, what kind of topic is that? With 5 years of Latin, Ancient Greek, and Philosophy, living in Rome surrounded by history, how can you choose Fashion?" She quickly answered, “Fashion is history”. I approved, and the more I thought about it the more I liked it, as a matter of fact, I began to love the idea.

Because of the high price of gold, this past weekend, I went to the showplace on 25th Street with a friend to have her 1960’s 18K two color gold white and soft yellow bracelet valued for scrap. While there I encountered some of the dealers I know and as we started talking it became obvious that lots of gold was being scrapped and history destroyed along with it. I started thinking about Sidney’s thesis and how she would describe this period. The 2000’s with the recession, that forced the middle class to scrap beautiful objects, whereby a part of history was lost. Of course the famous designers will survive, David Webb, Cartier, Pomellato, Buccelati, Bulgari, Van Cleef, Tiffany and others. What happened to our parent’s jewelry?

I remember, my friends, my mother’s friends, and myself wearing the beautiful heavy gold bangles of the 60’s, wide thick and large link bracelets, long necklaces and rings with charms, long earrings. What will Sidney write? She will have to write about the rich with their fancy jewelry laden with diamonds. What happened to your mother’s jewelry?


Dove Sono andati a finire i gioielli delle nostre madri?

Quando mia figlia Sidney, mi ha detto che stava facendo la sua tesi del Liceo Classico„ “sulla moda”„ io ho gridato, " La moda, che genere di soggetto è questo? Con 5 anni di Latino, greco e filosofia, vivendo a Roma circondata dalla storia, come puoi scegliere la moda? " Immediatamente mi ha risposto, “la moda è la storia”.. Ho approvato e più ci pensavo e piu’ l’idea mi piaceva, in fatti ho cominciato ad amare l'idea.

Poiche’ il prezzo dell’oro adesso e’ cosi’ alto, la settimana scorsa, sono andata al Showplace sulla venticinquesima strada con una mia amica per avere il suo bracciale di 750 oro di due colore bianco e giallo degli anni 60’s stimato per il valore del scrap. Mentre li ho incontrato alcuni dei commercianti che conoscevo e mentre parlavamo è diventato evidente che molto oro stava ad essere scartato e la storia si stava distruggendo . Ho cominciato a pensare alla tesi di Sidney e come avrebbe descritto questo periodo. Il 2000 con la recessione, che ha forzato la classe media a scartare dei bellissimi oggetti, per cui una parte della storia sara persa. Naturalmente i gioiellerieri famosi sopravviveranno, David Webb, Cartier, Pomellato, Buccelati, Bulgari, Van Cleef, Tiffany ed altri. Dove sono andati a finire i gioielli dei vostri genitori?

Mi ricordo, i miei amici, amici di mia madre e di me stessa quando ci mettevamo quei bei braccialetti pesanti dell'oro degli anni 60, o quei bellissimi larghi, doppio e grandi link braccialetti, collane lunghe e anelli con ciondoli, orecchini lunghi. Che cosa ne scriverà Sidney? Dovrà scrivere dei ricchi con i loro gioielli carichi di diamanti. Dove sono andati a finire I gioielli delle vostre madri?

5 comments:

Nicole said...

Great post! I won't scrap the gold you gave me, even when times get tough. I'll just sellthe furniture instead.

helscat129 said...

This is a wonderful post. Makes me sad for the jewelry I just sold off without a thought. I lost a part of my family's history.
I will be more careful in the future of what I just toss away and this will not just be jewelry.
This blog made me think.

Jean said...

Fantastic -- I was just about to scrap a gold bracelet with real sentimental value. I was very hesitant, now I know I can't and won't do it!!!

Frank said...

Nice post Frances!

barbara s. said...

i love the title of sidney's story..

LinkWithin