Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Aging Gracefully

My grandmother has been in my thoughts and in conversations with my women friends a lot lately. I have been using her as a great example for us as she was someone who never wasted time thinking about aging. She was forever young. She was happy, she had a career that gave her a purpose in life, and her work kept her young and active both mentally and physically. At the age of 94 when old age had finally crept in and she could no longer work, she died peacefully. She was never ill, she slept very little, read her books diligently every night, drank many cups of strong espresso daily and worked every day of her life. (she never took a vacation)

When my life changed so drastically, for a moment I had forgotten what really made me happy and where I came from.

Here I go again, starting up my accounting career once more just like I did in 1979. Starting from scratch after so much life experience and in such a different world. Technology - 'have computer will travel' - has changed the way I do business, it allows me to work from home. I no longer have the constraints of an office, research is at my fingertips. My computer, clients and associates now form my new 'virtual' office. My associate Laurie, an ex-employee, intelligent, hard working, with impeccable work ethics, and attention to detail and getting things done right, makes for a great partner. My clients are a wonderful new cast of characters for me, an international mix, many in the arts, all with real talent, all sharing one common denominator CREATIVITY... and I love that.

Talking with my friends about my grandmother and going back to my career have helped me find my fountain of youth, tomorrow, we shall see what else life will bring us. A new journey. I welcome it.

I want to thank my grandmother yet again for helping me throughout my life. When I was young our talks guided me to making important life decisions. Now, that she's no longer with us she is still guiding me by her example in the most difficult part of life "Aging Gracefully".

4 comments:

Ann P Munday said...

Lovely, I don't know if you ever read my blogs, however, as I never get any comments on mine?
I certainly wish my Irish grandmother was still alive. She was a lovely and kind and spiritual woman with enough unconditional love for all. She always made me feel wanted and not a nuisance as so many others did.
I was stopped from seeing her when my father remarried when I was 9 evil stepmother 1, except for just one time when she visited the UK.
Every St Patrick's Day she would send me a little box of four leafs clover and that was only a small memento, however, always brought back those wonderful vacations of running free through green fields in Liscarroll, County Cork.
She made the most delight porridge on a stove heated by wood. We had no indoor plumbing, but I never minded that. Played cowboys and indians with my 2nd cousin and my brother and I was always the squaw. My 2nd cousin came straight up to me when he saw me at a lovely Irish uncle's funeral and apologised for this. But I had never minded and held no resentment.
My life now is very different, and I really would have preferred that my Irish grandmother be given custody of me after my mother died. My life would have been very different.
I may not have had fame (no fortune as Chrysalis Music paid me really poorly), would never have had to manage a really difficult artist - although then I wouldn't have met you, and that would be sad.
Yesterday would have been my father's 84th birthday and although this May he will have been dead 20 years, I miss him still and know he would be absolutely horrified at how David has treated and used me. On the other hand, I am not sure he would have liked growing old.
love ann

mLindvall said...

Franca,

My father's mother is still a true source of inspiration to me...although she's been gone for 12 years it is her teachings that I always turn to remembering (especially in hard times). She never had a career...her family was her life. Her love and guidance (especially in family matters) continue to guide me through my days.

Thank you for honoring your grandmother...and allowing me to honor mine, here, too.

My best to you,
Mona

Anonymous said...

Grandmothers are essential, it's beautiful to take the time to thank them (even if they are no longer with us). Thank you for reminding me- Melissa

Shirley said...

I didn't personally know either of my grandmothers and in hind sight, it's probably a good thing!!! As I eventually learned, they were both very strange ladies! So I probably wouldn't have learned any important positive life lessons. But this I know for sure. Having a positive outlook towards the future brings a happier life....good for you for finding your "tomorrow" and happiness in your "today".

Shirley

LinkWithin